Are you browsing cat nutrition online wondering which the best nutrition product for your feline is? The good news is that there are hundreds of products to choose from. The bad news is that not all cat food online or in-store is healthy. Cats are carnivorous meaning all their nutrition comes from eating one type of food. The cat nutrition you choose should be as close as possible to the real diet of a cat’s natural diet.
The nutrition needs of cat include:
This is the biggest food type in meat, and what your cat needs most. Felines draw their energy largely from proteins in a complex metabolism process. Your cat needs proteins for making hormones, enzymes, and muscle tissue. This food type also contains essential amino acids that among other things help maintain pH, mental and cardiovascular functions. Cats get animal protein from beef, poultry, fish and other animal flesh.
But not all essential amino acids are found in animal protein. Some are found in plant proteins such as legumes. One of these plant protein amino acids is taurine, which has been found to be very crucial or felines. As cats do not feed on plants directly, it is important to feed them on meat from herbivores or ensure that taurine is added to the processed food.
Cats need essential fatty acids including omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids containing crucial nutrition for a cat such as linoleic and arachidonic acid. These fatty acids are needed for immunity, proper vision and reproductive activity in cats.
Your cat needs minerals for different physiological functions including oxygen circulation, enzyme formation, pH balance, nutrition absorption, muscle function and so on. Minerals include sodium, potassium, chloride, selenium, sulfur, and zinc.
These nutrients are needed for immunity, cardiovascular and muscle function. Cats get most of their vitamins from animal flesh and synthesize some vitamins on their own.
Cats need water for optimal nutrition, oxygen and blood circulation as well as digestive functions. Cats have a low thirst drive but need fresh clean water nearby.
There are many cat nutrition Australia brands but you have to be picky. Watch out for commercial pet food that promises much but delivers little:
- Carbohydrate-laden foods are not beneficial to your cat. Carbs are synthesized poorly by cats and mostly turned to fat which makes your cat obese
- Artificial flavors and preservatives – These have been shown to cause health complications in cats including allergies, digestive problems, poor dental, kidney complications, hairballs and skin problems
- Grain-containing foods – Cats are not made to metabolize grain and this causes digestive complications
It is only prudent that you go for wholesome natural cat food. This is food rich in antioxidants, proteins, fats, vitamins. There are benefits to feeding your cat on a healthy diet:
- Fuller and shinier fur coat. There is less shedding and a lower risk of skin infection
- Better digestion- This translates into better appetite in your cat, and less litter as the cat absorbs most of it
- Lower urine and stool odor
- Lower risks of hairballs
Feeding your cat on a healthy cat nutrition makes the pet more vibrant, and playful. You will enjoy more company and less fusing about health complications. If your cat is happy, you will be happy as well.